Friday, March 16, 2012

Review of Unnatural (Archangel Academy #1) by Michael Griffo

Lesson 1: Nothing is ever what it seems. . . 

In the town of Eden in northwestern England stands the exclusive boarding school known as Archangel Academy. Ancient and imposing, it's a place filled with secrets. Just like its students. . .
For Michael Howard, being plucked from his Nebraska hometown and sent thousands of miles away is as close as he's ever come to a miracle. In Weeping Water, he felt trapped, alone. At Archangel Academy, Michael belongs. And in Ciaran, Penry, and especially Ciaran's enigmatic half-brother Ronan, Michael finds friendship deeper than he's ever known. 

But Michael's only beginning to understand what makes the Academy so special. Ronan is a vampire—part of a hybrid clan who are outcasts even among other vampires. Within the Academy's confines exists a ruthless world of deadly rivalries and shifting alliances, of clandestine love and forbidden temptations. And soon Michael will confront the destiny that brought him here—and a danger more powerful than he can imagine. . . - synopsis from Barnes & Noble

So tons of people are comparing Unnatural to Twilight for reasons I don’t understand. Sure, I noticed a few similarities here and there, but you can find most of them in any YA Vampire romance. Just saying. I personally enjoyed the novel, when I first got the novel over the summer; I had really only picked it because of the pretty cover and because the plot sounded interesting. What I hadn’t expected was the gay romance part of the novel, it was very new to me and didn’t feel overdone and for that I applaud author Michael Griffo (yay!).

Basically, for those of you who don’t know, Unnatural is about a teenage boy who discovers that he is homosexual and finds himself at a boarding school in England where he finds the love of his life who (surprise!!) just so happens to be a vampire hybrid. The novel actually did seem pretty unique, especially the vampire hybrid part of the novel which is something that I have never seen/read before.  As well as all of the vampires seeming to want the main character Michael on their side for reasons that we don’t figure out until we are nearing the end.

However, I did have a few issues with the novel.  The major one being the way the novel was written in the third person. Believe me I have no problems with writing in the third person; I actually enjoy it. The real problem with Unnatural was that during the third person, it was constantly switching point of views and that just got confusing! One minute I was listening to Michael and suddenly I’m thrust into Ronan’s POV and then into some other character and back to Michael.

Other than that the novel was actually very enjoyable, with a lot of romance between all of the characters and the supernatural portion of the novel as well as plenty of deaths I found it to be an entertaining mixture and I cannot wait to read the sequel and final novel. I would recommend this to anybody who has been wanting to read a new YA Vampire series or simply wanting to read a refreshing supernatural story.  

3 comments:

Darlene said... Best Blogger Tips

This sounds like a really interesting book to read! I look forward to checking it out, but will be careful of those pesky 3rd person flips! Excellent review!

Darlene @ Leather Bound and Lovely

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

This review is accurate! I absolutely loved the book! :D It was very well written and definitely did a good switch up on the vampire lore. I did see very slight, VERY VERY VERY slight similarities to Twilight but as stated in the review I believe that's due to the fact it's in the vampire romance genre but even then this book is unlike any I've read before. The description of the emotions of the boys was done very well in the fact that it wasn't overly done and cliche but in fact seemed very genuine in the emotions that each character felt without being too overly romantic. It did irk me somewhat that the POV's switched up a lot but beside that I loved it. I liked reading the different POV's of the character but at the same time it was somewhat irritating to be suddenly be thrown into someone else's mind in such an abrupt manner.
Overall! It was a definitely a book worth reading.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

OH, by the way I'm the one who just posted that last post but I forgot to put a signature on it or something
-Alexia De Leon

Post a Comment

Your comments make us smile

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...