Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Review of Illuminate by Aimee Agresti


Illuminate
by Aimee Agresti

Release Date: March 6, 2012
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
More information from HMH

Haven Terra is a brainy, shy high school outcast. But everything begins to change when she turns sixteen. Along with her best friend Dante and their quiet and brilliant classmate Lance, she is awarded a prestigious internship in the big city— Chicago—and is sent to live and work at a swanky and stylish hotel under the watchful eyes of a group of gorgeous and shockingly young-looking strangers: powerful and alluring hotel owner Aurelia Brown; her second-in-command, the dashing Lucian Grove; and their stunning but aloof staff of glamazons called The Outfit.

As Haven begins falling for Lucian, she discovers that these beautiful people are not quite what they seem. With the help of a mysterious book, she uncovers a network of secret passageways from the hotel’s jazz-age past that leads her to the heart of the evil agenda of Aurelia and company: they’re in the business of buying souls. Will they succeed in wooing Haven to join them in their recruitment efforts, or will she be able to thwart this devilish set’s plans to take the souls of her classmates on prom night at the hotel?

Illuminate is an exciting saga of a teen’s first taste of independence, her experience in the lap of luxury, and her discovery she may possess strength greater than she ever knew.


** This book was provided to us by the publisher, and we were in no way paid for our review.
The review was done simply because we support and believe in the author's works**
I have a special place in my heart for angel books. Guardian Angels…Fallen Angels…All angels! Illuminate has officially been added to my list of Angel Awesomeness! Agresti’s writing style is what made this book great for me. The personalities of the characters in Illuminate were wonderfully done, and made the book even more enjoyable! The writing in the pages came to life before my eyes, and I couldn’t help but become completely enveloped into this word Agresti has created.

Agreti does a fantastic job of world building and character development that readers will come to appreciate this secret world of Angels and Demons. We are also introduced to super sexy Lucian, one of the main characters in the book. He just oozed charisma, charm and sexy. There was no way that I was not going to fall for this bad boy. There were various scenes throughout the book that had me giggling like a school girl, swooning and sighing all over the place. I love an author that can create a drool worthy character. Of all the characters though, I found that it was our main heroine, Haven, that stole the show. Her personality was addictive. Her sense of humor is one where I found myself literally laughing out loud! Her quirky come backs had me looking forward to what she would say next, as well as her undeniable loyalty to her friends…such great personality traits to have in a leading lady. And don’t get me started on Aurelia, our vivacious villain. Agresti did such a great job developing this character that I was loving her and hating her all at the same time! Definitely one of my favorite villain’s of 2012 thus far.

The plot twists in Illuminate were beautifully executed, and the buildup to the mother of all climaxes was so fun to read! The action scenes were written so well, and was described in such a way that I was able to envision them while I was reading. The scene would literally jump out the pages for me. Even the little details, like the descriptions of the rotting limbs and bodies made the book even more enjoyable…especially if you like a little bit of gore in your reads.

A great twist on angel tales, Illuminate will keep your eyes glued to the pages, anticipating the next turn of events. Fans of angel books will completely devour Amiee Agreti’s Illuminate. I cannot wait for the next installment!




7 comments:

La Toya said... Best Blogger Tips

This is a great review, love the song! And that cover is just to die for! I'd read it for that reason alone :)

~ La Toya (La Toya, Literally)

Lauren Mackesy said... Best Blogger Tips

Awesome review! Can't wait till it comes out!

Darlene said... Best Blogger Tips

I have been curious about Illuminate for a little while now, and I am so glad to read your great review! It sounds like it would be an awesome book! Thanks for the review!

Darlene @ Leather Bound and Lovely

soulunsung said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh my gosh, there are no words for how much I absolutely loved this book. Aimee Agresti is by far one of my favorite new debut author's of this year. This book was so emotionally intense, filled with rich darkness and fantastically fleshed out character's and story arc's. It's definitely one of the best reads so far. Loved it and enjoyed your wonderful review of it thoroughly. :)

Suz @ A Soul Unsung
susanhaugland@att.net

Chapter by Chapter said... Best Blogger Tips

@soulunsung

Thanks so much for the kind words everyone <3

kimba88 said... Best Blogger Tips

great review..you make me want to read it now!

Andrea @ Cozy Up said... Best Blogger Tips

Great review, I'm really excited to read this one. It sounds really interesting! And your review makes me want to read it that much more. Plus, I'm so drawn in by the cover!

Post a Comment

Your comments make us smile

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...