Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Review of Rage by Jackie Morse Kessler


Missy didn’t mean to cut so deep. But after the party where she was humiliated in front of practically everyone in school, who could blame her for wanting some comfort? Sure, most people don’t find comfort in the touch of a razor blade, but Missy always was . . . different. That’s why she was chosen to become one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse: War. Now Missy wields a new kind of blade—a big, brutal sword that can cut down anyone and anything in her path. But it’s with this weapon in her hand that Missy learns something that could help her triumph over her own pain: control. A unique approach to the topic of self-mutilation, Rage is the story of a young woman who discovers her own power and refuses to be defeated by the world.

No book trailer, so here's a song!

"If you've ever felt a rolling fury bury you alive, if you've ever screamed because the words just won't come, then this one's for you" - Rage - Jackie Morse Kessler

Again with the powerful tag line.  Love!  Although I did enjoy reading the Hunger, first book of the Riders of the Apocalypse series, I complete enjoyed Rage, the second installment. Although the writing style was still similar to that of its predecessor, Rage was much more enjoyable to me.

In Rage, we are introduced to the world of cutters which is defined as individuals who cut themselves to relieve themselves from an emotional pain.  We follow the life of Missy who is struggling with her life as an outcast and because of her struggles with cutting, Death has chosen her to be War, one of the horsemen of the Apocalypse. Now, where in Hunger, Lisabeth was having a more difficult time coming to grips with her appointment as Famine, Missy seems to be more open to her assignment as War, which made it that more enjoyable for me.

Kessler does a fantastic job of emotionally gripping the reader from the start of the book to the end. Everything was described in such vivid detail that the reader will not find it difficult at all to envision the story unfolding. I also felt that Kessler does a fantastic job of giving the readers a close glimpse of what exactly main character Missy is going through, and what she is going through. How in reality, it is words that actually do more damage than physical torment.

There were so many points in the book where my heart just bleed for this poor girl. I honestly do not remember it being that harsh in high school, but it was probably because I went to private school (most likely). And at the point in the book where everything just does not go right for Missy, and everything that could go wrong does go wrong, I don’t think there is anyone out there that won’t feel some sort of emotional pull. I really comment Kessler for her writing style. Everything that I ‘ve read so far from her has been so unbelievably realistic, that I found myself reiterating to my girls the importance of being kind, and not judging, and treating everyone respectfully.

I found myself crushing even more on old Mr. Death in this book. Being described as the late Kurt Cobain (although the name really isn't revealed), his attitude and mannerisms, and just his general personality oozed crush-worthy! I can’t wait to read more about what Death will say or do next in the next installment titled, Loss. Fans of Hunger will definitely enjoy Rage…and those who were on the fence with Hunger, will be in for a treat with this one.

2 comments:

Zoey Talbon said... Best Blogger Tips

Never heard of this before, but it definitely sounds interesting :o I suppose I'll have to check out Hunger so I can get to this one.

Jacquelynne said... Best Blogger Tips

What a fantastic series! I haven't heard of these books yet but now I feel like I have to read them! You weave a very intriguing review of Rage :) Great review!

Post a Comment

Your comments make us smile

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...