Saturday, January 21, 2012

Review of Hunger (Riders of the Apocalypse #1) by Jackie Morse Kessler

"Thou art the Black Rider. Go thee out unto the world."
Lisabeth Lewis has a black steed, a set of scales, and a new job: she’s been appointed Famine. How will an anorexic seventeen-year-old girl from the suburbs fare as one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse?

Traveling the world on her steed gives Lisa freedom from her troubles at home—her constant battle with hunger, and her struggle to hide it from the people who care about her. But being Famine forces her to go places where hunger is a painful part of everyday life, and to face the horrifying effects of her phenomenal power. Can Lisa find a way to harness that power—and the courage to fight her own inner demons?

A wildly original approach to the issue of eating disorders, Hunger is about the struggle to find balance in a world of extremes, and uses fantastic tropes to explore a difficult topic that touches the lives of many teens.
I couldn't find a book trailer, so a video for you instead! 

"If you have ever looked in the mirror and hated what you saw, this book is for you" ... Upon opening the book, and seeing that message I was already hooked. 

The premise of this book is what initially caught my attention.  Actually, the premise of all the books in this series is what caught my attention. Troubled teens being turned into the Riders of the Apocalypse? Sounded like a pretty cool idea to me.
Jackie Morse Kessler opens the eyes of the reader into the world of eating disorders, providing us with the insight of what an individual with an eating disorder thinks of themselves, feels about themselves, and their thoughts on how others perceive them.

Told in the first person point of view of the main character, Lisabeth Lewis, Kessler does a fantastic job of capturing the readers attention with her unique way of story telling.  I loved reading about how Lisabeth has to deal with the realization that she has been chosen as Famine, one of the four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
It was interesting to see the thoughts of Lisabeth as she rode all over the world, seeing with her own eyes what truely starving people lived through and to see the impact it had on her and her struggles with Anorexia, and how she finds the strength to use her powers for good.

One of my favorite parts of this book was the battle between Famine and War.  I could picture the show down in my head, and enjoyed every minute of it.  Kessler does a great job of describing the details of this fight, that the reader will literally see the scene unfold right before their very eyes. 

As morbidly weird as this may sound, I found myself suddenly developing a crush on old Death himself ... I know right!  There were just various points throughout the book where I found him to be very Jace-esque (of The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare fame) in his comments and actions.  I remember telling myself "Self!  What are you thinking?  This is Death...no crushes allowed", and after having convinced myself that I was right...Death says or does something else to change my mind.

An awesome read with a must read message, readers will devour this world that Jackie Morse Kessler has created where your problems may cause Death to come knocking on your door, and turn you into on of the four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.  I cannot wait to start Rage, the next installment in the Riders of the Apocalypse series.

4 comments:

Megan at Book Brats said... Best Blogger Tips

Great review! I have been this book around for awhile, but I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet sadly. Totally going to have to remedy this soon. Sounds awesome!

Megan at Book Brats!

kimscarecrow said... Best Blogger Tips

I love these books. Absolutely love them. I can't wait for Loss to come out. Great review!

-Kim

Vickie Ramage said... Best Blogger Tips

I haven't seen this book around for ages! I really need to get the third book, the other two were awesome. :D

ComaCalm's Corner

susie said... Best Blogger Tips

awesome review! I really want to read this book now!

Post a Comment

Your comments make us smile

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...