Monday, January 30, 2012

Review of Halflings by Heather Burch

Split. After being inexplicably targeted by an evil intent on harming her at any cost, seventeen-year-old Nikki finds herself under the watchful guardianship of three mysterious young men who call themselves halflings. Sworn to defend her, misfits Mace, Raven, and Vine battle to keep Nikki safe while hiding their deepest secret---and the wings that come with. A growing attraction between Nikki and two of her protectors presents a whole other danger. While she risks a broken heart, Mace and Raven could lose everything, including their souls. As the mysteries behind the boys' powers, as well as her role in a scientist's dark plan, unfold, Nikki is faced with choices that will affect the future of an entire race of heavenly beings, as well as the precarious equilibrium of the earthly world.

** This book was provided to us by the publisher, and we were in no way paid for our review.
The review was done simply because we support and believe in the author's works**
 
“Fangs sank into Nikki Youngblood's leg, setting her skin on fire.” I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to get that opening sentence out of my mind. Right there (*points at opening sentence*) I knew that Halflings from author Heather Burch would be something I would enjoy. I mean really how many novels just start with action? A small number from what I've read, but when a novel does start with action, well.. I love when that happens!  The novel first begins with our main character, Nikki Youngblood, being chased by hell-hounds. She has a bunch of injuries thanks to those mean little dogs, but despite that she keeps on running for her life and is dependent on saving herself and I admired her for that.

And from what I have learned from mace: If a human is running from hell-hounds you don't stand a chance of saving yourself. Que the entrance of the super hot Halflings entrance when Vine, Raven and Mace all come to Nikki's rescue. Though it was an interesting start and introduced most of the abilities that Halflings were gaven it started to feel like from that point on in the novel Nikki was constantly being saved by Halflings. While that's not necessarily a bad thing I didn't feel like Halflings managed to work the damsel in distress act in the same way that I would have enjoyed.

So now I'll answer a crucial question: What's a Halfling? It's the offspring of an angel and a human resulting in a supernatural being that are kind of portrayed as a guardian angel. I think I've forgotten to mention the part where all the Halflings, male and female included, are all inhumanly beautiful with a strange aura of electricity and light surrounding them. I think I also forgot to mention that Halflings have wings that only certain humans called Seers can see. Did I like the idea of Halflings? Yes in fact I am a bit in love with them as of now.

Due to Burch's descriptive writing style I was more than able to imagine all of the characters from Nikki herself to Vegan one of the female Halflings. Though most of the characters seemed three dimensional and likeable (except for some characters like Nikki's godfather)  I did find myself hating Nikki's best friend Krissy, she seemed hardly like that much of a good friend and always seemed pushy on changing who Nikki was comfortable with being and turning her into another version of herself.

Now as for the love triangle, I didn't really feel like it was present throughout the novel. Whenever Nikki was with Raven, I felt like they both just glared at each other and would talk to each other in a way that reminded me of Elena and Damon (from the Vampire Diaries). Now when Nikki was with Mace I was always hoping that they would do something ANYTHING simply because Mace always thought so highly of her and in such a romantic way. That being said the novel does go from POV (point of view) to POV, from Raven's to Mace's to Nikki's.

There were only a few downsides to the novel one of them being that the entire novel was used in the third person and in a past tense however through out the novel I would end up finding first person and present tense words. Not that major though it did begin to irritate me. The other downside was the pace that the novel worked at, I would end up finding myself bored and waiting for some major twist. However major twists did take place and questions that you couldn't stop thinking about would be answered with excitement.

Nearing the end (and don't worry this is spoiler free) I found myself feeling more than sad. The ending was an epic tragedy and I mean that in a good way! Somebody was left broken hearted. Somebody died and everything that we knew about Halflings is changed.

8 comments:

roro said... Best Blogger Tips

sounds wicked
rad
tnx 4 reviewing

manda-rae said... Best Blogger Tips

I've noticed quite a few bloggers posted Halflings reviews today (myself included). Great review!

Heather Burch said... Best Blogger Tips

Thank you for an awesome review! You have some solid insights ... and that's all I better say or I may give away too much for Guardian, book two. :)

jennykellerford said... Best Blogger Tips

I have to get my copy. It's on my to-read list. Great review!

Andrea @ Cozy Up said... Best Blogger Tips

Great review. I read this a while ago and enjoyed it. I had a few issues with it too, the pace was one of them, and I found that it took awhile to answer some questions. But I definitely enjoyed this one, and the ending left me wanting more!

Luvdaylilies said... Best Blogger Tips

This is on my wishlist & now I'm really wanting to read it!
Lethea B

Grant said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi MaryAnn,
Thanks for posting a review for Halflings!

I wanted to invite you to The Halflings Network: a place where fans can talk about the book, chat with author Heather Burch, enter giveaways, and get updates on the next book in the series. We also have a free illustrated eBook prequel that I think you'd really enjoy. Feel free to check it out at Halflings.ning.com.

Thanks again for your great review, we really appreciate it!

Grant
Zondervan

Chapter by Chapter said... Best Blogger Tips

@Grant

Thanks for stopping by the blog Grant! I'll def. check out the site.

Post a Comment

Your comments make us smile

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...