Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Tour Stop: Review of Fractured Light by Rachel McClellan


Welcome to my tour stop for the Fractured Light by Rachel McClellan Blog Tour
hosted by Cedar Fort Books!
Here you will find my review and insights for this unforgettable YA read.
You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll get creeped out and fall in love with Fracture Light.



I’m dying, I thought. This was unexpected and not at all how I envisioned my death. I was supposed to die gardening in a flowerbed as a hundred-year-old woman, not as a seventeen-year-old trapped in a lake beneath inches of ice.


Llona Reese is used to living on the run. After the Vykens killed her parents, she knew they would eventually come for her too. She can’t take any chances. But when she starts to make friends for the first time in her life, she gets careless and lets her guard down. Big mistake.
As an Aura, Llona can manipulate light and harness its energy. But if she wants to survive, Llona will have to defy the Auran Council and learn to use her power as a weapon against the Vyken whose sole desire is to take her light. Now she’s caught in something even bigger than she can understand, with a power she can’t wield, and no one she can trust, except, just maybe, a mysterious stranger.

In this breathtaking and romantic adventure, Rachel McClellan delivers a truly mesmerizing story that will keep you guessing to the very end. -Synopsis from the book
Fan made book trailer
** This book was provided to us by the publisher, and we were in no way paid for our review.
The review was done simply because we support and believe in the author's works**
The first emotion that I felt when I started reading Fractured Light by Rachel McClellan was…sadness. From the very opening of the story, I felt sad. I could feel the sorrow and sense of loss that main character Llona Reese goes through at the funeral/cemetery. It was at this point that I knew that this was going to be a promising read. If the author is already able to conjure up this emotion in a matter of a few pages, I knew that there was only more to come.

I really enjoyed how McClellan introduces the characters in Fracture Light. Their interactions with each other were so addictive to follow. You could already see the budding relationships forming, which is always exciting to watch unfold. And of course, a Young Adult book is never complete without at least ONE character to hate…enter Brian. I mean, what a jerk! How he talks to Llana made me clench my teeth. Again, another sign that this was going to be a great read. EMOTIONS! McClellan does such a great job developing her characters throughout the book. You could really imagine them all as real people, not just an imaginary person in a book. Love, love her writing style.

I found that McClellan’s concept of “light” very interesting and that it reminded me just a little bit of Buffy The Vampire Slayer’s “sister” Dawn, who was “the key” disguised as a human. For those of you who were die hard Buffy fans, you’ll understand what I mean once you read the book. I love those stories of “you can’t always see what’s staring you in the face” type stories. My mind went on different tangents throughout the book trying to decipher who knew what/who Llana was…like I was playing detective, but one who didn’t finger the right culprit. Good thing I’m not really a detective!

Reading about the “dark figure” was totally creeping me out! There aren’t that many books out there anymore that can creep me out, but Fractured Light was among the few that did. It probably didn’t help that I’m home alone most nights, up wayyyy late reading in the almost dark, alone…hearing noises…feeling eyes watching me…eep! McClellan is such great story teller. She provides the reader with such vivid descriptions of this shadow creeper, that this book was seriously giving me a complex. I really felt like something or someone was watching me!

This is such a fantastic, suspenseful read! Each chapter will keep you guessing until the very end, when everything you’ve been questioning is finally revealed.

I encourage everyone who loves a good paranormal suspense read to give Fractured Light a read. You won’t be disappointed, and maybe…JUST maybe, you’ll be looking over your shoulder every so often, or peeking at your window for a shadowy creeper… like I was!

You can read more about Rachel McClellan here

1 comments:

Sharon ObsessionwithBooks said... Best Blogger Tips

I have recently finished this book and quite liked it, I agree with the emotional aspect; you are really taken in with what Llona is experiencing.

A wonderful review :)

Post a Comment

Your comments make us smile

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...