Monday, December 26, 2011

Review of Destined, A House Of Night Novel by P.C. Cast & Kristin Cast

In Destined, the forces of Light and Dark collide as their epic struggle focuses on Tulsa’s House of Night. Zoey is home where she belongs, safe with her Guardian Warrior, Stark, by her side – and preparing to face off against Neferet. Kalona has released his hold on Rephaim, and, through Nyx’s gift of a human form, he and Stevie Rae are finally able to be together – if Rephaim can truly walk the path of the Goddess and stay free of his father’s shadow.
But is Zoey really safe? Does she truly know those who are closest to her? And will love win when it is tested by the very soul of Darkness? Find out what’s destined in the next thrilling chapter of the House of Night series. - Synposis from the book




You have no clue how long I've been waiting to read Destined, and since I had so many novels to switch back and forth through I've been forced to put Destined off. Did I regret it? Yes. Yes x one million.  With it being the ninth novel in the House Of Night series (one of my favorite series), I was so excited to begin reading and surprisingly it takes place right where Awakened left off. The one thing that sets Destined apart from the other novels in the series is the new twists with Aurox, Neferet's creature who has been created only for her to command him. Did I forget to mention that he turns into a bull? Well he does.
One of the things that I found most enjoyable was the relationship between Rephiam and Stevie Rae, since Rephiam has been forgiven by the Goddess and was given the form of a human boy. Except that he has a few animal issues, left behind. Cast also gave the readers a new insight into Kalona who, it turns out, isn't as heartless as we've all been lead to believe, and for the first time ever (I think) we get to see the story through Professor Lenobia's eyes, while we also get to learn about her past and her feelings towards the human that has been hired to help her with her stables. Just from the few chapters where I got to see things through Lenobia's eyes I know that when the novella, Lenobia's Vow, comes out I am going to be first in line to get it.
Maybe it's just me but I do always find it interesting in the House Of Night novels that we also get to see minor snippets from the main villains point of view, Neferet. I love seeing just how low she'll go to get what she wants, and how twisted she really is. It also shows her half weird/ half intense relationship with the White Bull of Darkness, as well as how much she hates Zoey and any other person (cough Thanatos, cough) who gets in her way.
I really didn't know what to expect with this installment, to be honest, I think that it almost needed to be longer since the whole novel happens over a period of a week and when Destined came to an explosive finish I had no clue what to expect or what was going to happen next. So many questions were left behind in my head, most of them including what was going to happen to many of the characters and the release date of the next novel. Hopefully it's just as shocking as Destined was and twice as long.

2 comments:

Danielle Smiley said... Best Blogger Tips

I love this series, too, and haven't yet read Destined. I can't wait to see what happens. I do hate that the books are so short.

Jacquelynne said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh my god. Like - wow. I cannot believe I have never heard of this series till a week ago or so when I saw some of these books on a bloggers "In My Mailbox" posting. I absolutely love how they are longer than 3 or 4 books, because I love series and absolutely hate when they come to an end. I am also very intrigued because the characters seem to have such a bountiful description and seem to carry throughout all the novels (which I am a huge fan of Character development and growth) ... Now I'm not entirely sure but it also seems like there isn't a shortage of swoon worthy boys either, am i right? Which is just the cherry on top of the entire series.
Now for your review, I love it :) hehe. It touches on everything I'd want to know about when I start out a new series, and seeing as this is 9th book in the ongoing series, that is something hard to do. But you've definitely sparked my interest in this series and I am very excited to get my hands on a couple of the first ones :) Bravo!

Post a Comment

Your comments make us smile

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...