Monday, December 12, 2011

On A Dark Wing - Jordan Dane

The choices I had made led to the moment when fate took over.
I would learn a lesson I wasn't prepared for.
And Death would be my willing teacher.
Five years ago, Abbey Chandler cheated Death. She survived a horrific car accident, but her "lucky" break came at the expense of her mother's life and changed everything. After she crossed paths with Death—by taking the hand of an ethereal boy made of clouds and sky—she would never be normal again.
Now she's the target of Death's ravens and an innocent boy's life is on the line. When Nate Holden—Abbey's secret crush—starts to climb Alaska's Denali, the Angel of Death stalks him because of her.
And Abbey finds out the hard way that Death never forgets. – synopsis from the book
No book trailer, so here's another vid :)

** This book was provided to us by the publisher, and we were in no way paid for our review.
The review was done simply because we support and believe in the author's works**


After reading just the introduction, I knew I was going to really enjoy this book.  There was so much information and emotion poured into the first few pages and the moments leading up to Abbey’s car accident.
A deceased mother due to a tragic accident, a father whose livelihood is running the only funeral home and service in town. With thoughts of her deceased mother, and with dead bodies in the basement, there’s no way you can even begin to think that Abbey’s life is going to be anything but normal. An outcast at school, a crush on a boy who doesn’t even know she exists, Abbey’s only anchor is her wheelchair bound best friend, Tanner. I loved reading about their friendship. If anything is going to make you appreciate the friend’s you hold near and dear, theirs is a prime example of true friendship.
I found this book to be more of a visual read. You’ll notice that, yes, there is conversation between the characters in the book, but what really makes the book is the beautiful descriptive writing of Jordan Dane. She unravels a world that opens up a door to your imagination. Her way of capturing the reader’s attention with the very important subject of cyber-bullying is spot on. Dane’s descriptions of both Abbey’s and Tanner’s reactions to the on-line rumors about them was heart breaking. Again, not so much conversation, but a lot of inner thought. I’m a huge advocate against bullying of any kind, and I always get an ache in my heart when I read about how they affect the impressionable minds of youth. I, myself, know that an author is doing a great job writing when I can feel so much with the words I read.
Dane has an amazing way of describing the events and the surroundings. I could honestly picture myself in the mountains, in the forest, feel the cold, smell the fish…yah, the last one is a bit odd, but you’ll understand when you read the book. I also loved how Dane incorporated the two father relationships between Abbey and her dad, and with Nate and his father. As I’ve said in past posts, I have a huge soft spot for father/daughter/child relationships and the ones in On A Dark Wing really pulled at my heart strings. As well, the relationship described between Nate and his little sister Zoey was so touching. This is how I hope and visualize the relationship between my kids will be…pure, honest, and full of love.
I loved how the point of view switches throughout the book, allowing the reader an opportunity to see what the other characters are feeling at the same moment and time. Dane provides us with a unique and beautifully written depiction of the Angel of Death, and how far a mother’s love can go, and what she would sacrifice for her child.
I recommend this book to fans of the paranormal, and for those who question how far they would go to save a friend.



Stop by again on December 19 for my stop on the On A Dark Wing Tour where we will be having an Epic Quote Battle. You don't want to miss it!

1 comments:

Jordan Dane said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow, MaryAnn, beautifully written review. Your insights into the relationships are amazing. Loved reading your take on my book and how parts resonated with your personal experiences. Thanks so much for trying a new author and for all you do for literacy through your blog. Loved your music video too. Very cool.

Jordan Dane

Post a Comment

Your comments make us smile

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...