Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Interview witth Lucas Klauss Author Of "Everything You Need To Survive The Apocalypse"

Yesterday, we had the pleasure of reviewing "Everything You Need To Survive The Apocalypse", to be released in January, 2012 by Simon & Schuster. Today, we are so happy to have the author,
Lucas Klauss, stop by for a quick Q & A.

1. How did "Everything You Need to Survive the Apocalypse" come to be?

I started this book while I was a student in the MFA Writing for Children and Teens program at the New School. The first 90 pages of it were my thesis project. Of course, that was back in 2007, so you can see that it's been a long journey for me to publication, and those 90 pages were revised many times along the way.

2. What was the hardest part of writing your book?

The hardest part was revising. This was the first novel I ever finished writing and once I finished it I still had a deep fear of revision--like if I found mistakes in what I'd written that it was proof that I was a bad writer. I had to work really hard to get over that, and it took me several rounds of revisions to get to a place where I felt like I had a handle on my process and the confidence in myself to believe that I could make the work better.

3. Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

None of what happens in the novel happened to me. But in high school I became part of an evangelical church community (through a friend) that I hadn't grown up in and that my family wasn't a part of, so I'm familiar with what it's like to be an outsider in that setting. (Also, like Phillip, I was absolutely terrified of talking to girls.) So that experience was a crucial part of my teen years and was something that I felt hadn't been explored in the YA books that I'd read at that point. I wanted to try and capture what it's like to be that age and trying to figure out what you believe (and how to say a complete sentence to a girl).
 4. Any new projects in the works? Can you share a little of your current work with us?

I am writing a new YA novel that's unrelated to APOCALYPSE. I can't say much about it other than that because it's still in the first draft stage, but I'm really excited about the characters and the story. Other than that, I continue to write humor for my blog and other outlets, including my sketch comedy group, the Bilderbergers.

5. Do you have any advice for aspiring new writers?

The truest advice is the most boring--write, write, write until your eyeballs fall out. Other than that, I would say that new writers should probably try to write stuff that either really excites them or really scares them (or does both). Writing what excites you (rather than what you think you *should* write) helps you actually sit down and get words on the page. Writing what scares you helps you grow as a writer.
Thank you so much for answering these questions. We look forward to the release of
“Everything You Need to Survive the Apocalypse” on January 3, 2012!
 


To catch the review, click here or scroll to the previous blog post!

Happy reading!

2 comments:

addiv said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi,

Lucas is a close friend of mine. It's great to see some press for his first novel! Btw the link to the review of the book at the end of the interview is broken. It links to "http://www.chapter-by-chapter.com/1/post/2011/11/everything-you-need-to-survive-the-apocolypse-lucas-klauss.html" .

Thankfully I found the review by scrolling down a little more below the interview.

Chapter by Chapter said... Best Blogger Tips

@addiv

Thank you for pointing that out. I have corrected this.

Post a Comment

Your comments make us smile

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...