Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Eternal - Cynthia Leitich Smith


At last, Miranda is the life of the party: all she had to do was die. Elevated and adopted by none other than the reigning King of the Mantle of Dracul, Miranda goes from high-school theater wannabe to glamorous royal fiend overnight.
Meanwhile, her reckless and adoring guardian angel, Zachary, demoted to human guise as the princess’s personal assistant, has his work cut out for him trying to save his girl’s soul and plan the Master’s fast-approaching Death Day gala.
In alternating points of view, Miranda and Zachary navigate a cut-throat eternal aristocracy as they play out a dangerous and darkly hilarious love story for the ages.
With diabolical wit, the author of Tantalize revisits a deliciously dark world where vampires vie with angels — and girls just want to have fangs. - Synopsis from the book


I had read this book a while ago, and decided to write this review as I am currently reading the "Diabolical" ARC, which is a kind of continuation to this book. 
I really enjoyed this book.  It was so cute, and so romantic.  Kind of like a .... gothic Romeo & Juliet (which is what sold me when it came to deciding whether or not to give this book a go).  Who doesn't want to have their own Guardian Angel...even after death?  Guardian Angel in love with a vampire.  As if that concept doesn't just make you smile.
Everything starts out like your typical teen book...lead girl has a rebelious bestfriend who guilts said girl into doing something like going to a cemetary and  gets into some serious trouble.   Enter sexy lead man aka Guardian Angel who must now make amends for his errors and save undead damsel in distress.
Smith's writing style is so addictive that I read this book so quickly without realizing it, especially when the chapters flipped from Miranda to Zachary's point of view (which I loved!)  I fell in love with all the characters, with the plot, and with the author.
I will admit that the transition from human to vampire for Miranda, our female lead, was pretty quick.  Like blink of an eye quick.  It would have been nice to read more of her development as a new undead.  To see what her thoughts were when she finds out she is now a vampire.  To see how she struggled to accept what she has become.  Instead, we are pretty thrust right into the thick of things and see how she lives as royalty, as if she were always a princess.
I did love reading about Zachary's part in all of this, and how he losses his wings because he failed to protect Miranda when she was human, and then to read what he must do to redeem himself when the heaven's decide to give him a chance to earn them back.  And everytime he called Miranda "my girl"... I awwww'd and smiled.  So sweet!
Other than that, the rest of the story progressed really well.  The end was a bit of a surprise, but overall it was satisfying.  I recommend this book to anyone who loves Romeo & Juliet type tragic love stories, and who are looking for a good, quick paranormal romance read.


Iwasn't quite sure what to expect from Eternal to be honest. I can promise that there were no (what we are now calling) 'facepalm' moments after I read the synopsis. I simply thought that it would be something interesting to read since I had come across it during my vampire craze- so since I loved it then I'm sure I can add on to that now.
Eternal starts out differently than most books. It starts out casually, with Zachary talking about Miranda putting on panties and then bringing up the one summer that she spent in her room naked. At first I was thinking that this would either be a really (how am I supposed to word this?) mature novel, one that would probably have me thinking growdy (another word for disgusting). It took me a few more pages to finally understand how the heck this guy just follows her around while she's naked, he's her guardian angel who is obsessed with keeping her safe from any threats.
One of the things that I loved about this novel was the way it switched from the two main character's perspectives. Especially since it had a cool mixture of angels and of vampires, pretty awesome I think. There were a few times where Iwas confused but it was over things that were smoothed over later on in the novel, like why Miranda was turned instead of her buddy, and things like that.
Cynthia Leitich Smith's writing style had me constantly throwing emotions into the novel, screaming 'why would youdo that!!!!' or slamming shut the novel and putting it away because Iwas too scared to read what might happen next to poor Zachary and Miranda.
My all time favorite part in the novel (don't worry no need to spoiler alert) is when Miranda mixes blood and pumpkin bread together. I have no clue why but that made me able to conjure up a disturbing yet funny image in my mind. I would recommend this to somebody who wants to read a vampire and angel novel at the same time, especially if you want something dark and mysterious.
It even has an ending you WILL NOT expect (trust me I didn't even see it coming, and I was soooo upset over the ending, that doesn't mean you will be though, pinky swear).

2 comments:

Isolabella said... Best Blogger Tips

Sounds like a sweet book that just needed a little character development.

I've been looking for books with angels cause as much as I love vampires, I need to increase my parameter. So, I'm adding it to the tbr piie.

Plus, a gothic version of Romeo and Juliet, I was immediately sold on it.

Chapter by Chapter said... Best Blogger Tips

@Isolabella

Anything R&J... I love! Add in gothic, and i was sold too :) Thanks for stopping by!

Post a Comment

Your comments make us smile

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...