Sunday, October 02, 2011

Tithe - Holly Black



Sixteen year old Kaye is used to her life of moving city to city, following her musician mother to wherever the next gig is.  When Kaye's mother is attacked by her own boyfriend, Kaye is taken back to her childhood home where she used to play with "imaginary" faeries, but one night changes everything Kaye has ever known when she saves the life of a strange man in the forest. Unwillingly, Kaye is forced into the world of the Faerie and soon finds herself in the position as a human sacrifice for the Unseelie Court's Tithe.
 Since I could not find an official book trailer, here's a video that kinda went with the book! (recommended by Gabby)



Curiousity got the better of me, and I decided to give this book a try.  It was not what I had expected.  I had heard mixed reviews about this book, and decided to try it out for myself.  If you're looking for the classic faerie type book, all skipping and flowers and la la la . . . this is not the book for you.  If you're looking for a dark, teen angst, raw novel then voila. 
I enjoyed reading this book.  I liked how there was swearing and drinking and drugs because it made the characters seem more real.  You may not relate to them, but you could build a better picture of what was going on in the story.  Black's writing style is honest.  No sugar coating, or dancing around, she wrote passionately. 
I loved how she described the world of the Fae.  The oddity of the people in the court, and how she incorporated folklore about faeiries.  And of course I liked Roiben.  Edgy, sexy Roiben.  I did swoon over him.  I couldn't resist him!
This may not be a book for everybody, but you should definitely give it a try.  It may open your eyes to whole different of genre.

I was reluctant to read Holly Black's, Modern Faerie Tale series. I expected it to be something I wouldn't enjoy, I mean the titles all seemed strange to me and when I took a first glimpse that cover I scrunched up my nose and left it alone. I ended up getting the novel as a Christmas present and began reading right away, I was hooked by the end of the first chapter. I loved how the novel has a twist, instead of Kaye being a good girl she was smoking, drinking and even doing drugs. This was one of the few novels that had a daring and attitude filled main character. I expected this to be some sort of remake of a faerie tale from the cover, but, dun dun dun, it was it's own kind of novel. Not a remake of sleeping beauty or anything so don't get your hopes up.
  Black's writing style was dark and seductive, something I definitely enjoyed. She even gave faeries a whole new meaning, instead of them being beautiful and helpful they were mischeavous and evil. Especially with the two courts; The Seelie and Unseelie courts (Aren't those fun words?).  The idea of there being a human sacrifice was also interesting, especially since the victim is going to be our main character, the one thing the Unseelie court doesn't know is that (SPOILER ALERT! KINDA) Kaye is actually a changeling. A pixie baby that replaced Kaye's mother's human one.  Oh and Roibin. Dark, mysterious and lovely Roibin who slowly begins to notice his feelings towards Kaye.
  I totally recommend this series to readers who want something dark, refreshing and has unexpected turns. Don't even argue about it, just go and get it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make us smile

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...