Monday, October 17, 2011

Radiance - Alyson Noel



Riley Bloom left her sister, Ever, in the world of the living and crossed the bridge into the afterlife—a place called Here, where time is always Now. Riley and her dog, Buttercup, have been reunited with her parents and are just settling into a nice, relaxing death when she's summoned before The Council. They let her in on a secret—the afterlife isn't just an eternity of leisure; Riley has to work. She's been assigned a job, Soul Catcher, and a teacher, Bodhi, a curious boy she can't quite figure out.
Riley, Bodhi, and Buttercup return to earth for her first assignment, a Radiant Boy who's been haunting a castle in England for centuries. Many Soul Catchers have tried to get him to cross the bridge and failed. But he's never met Riley...
 

True fans of The Immortals Series by Alyson Noel will love this spin off book told in the eyes of Ever's deceased sister, Riley. 
This story is about Riley's existance into the afterplace, after leaving her sister's world of the living.  In true Noel style, you are captured by the fantastic way she unravels a story right before your eyes, with chapters and ideas flowing smoothly from one into another.
I loved that we are introduced to what life is like in the afterlife.  Grant it, it was an extremely quick read, but it also provided just enough for the reader to want to continue with Riley's story.  In this story, Noel shows us how strong, intelligent, and mature Riley is, having to come to terms with her death, as well as having to deal with a not so cooperative ghost known as the "Radiant Boy". I've run into some books that were suppose to be told from the eyes of a tween or even younger, and then to see them using these big words that I don't even use, or solving a mystery that even the smartest detectives would NOT have been able to fighter out, it kinda throws off the whole effect of the story.  I have to give Noel props . . . she kept the dialogue and narrative to simulate that of a 12 year old.
It doesn't compare to the entire Immorals series (which I totally and completely adore!), but that's just it.  It's not meant to compete with that book.  It's the story of Riley, and to expect more than that . . . well, what were you thinking?
I recommend this book for anyone looking for a good, quick read, and for anyone who wonders what life after death could be like.

 Being a fan of Alyson Noel's, The Immortals Series, I couldn't wait to start reading the story of Ever's younger sister, Riley. Riley, who has died in a car accident is thrown into the afterlife. That was the one thing that caught my eyes, most YA novels out there just don't have a main character who is... you know... dead (I mean unless you count Vampires, Mummies and other creatures like that). Noel gives us an inside look at what happens after you die, the first interesting thing was that Riley ends up in Here. Not Heaven or any other religious after life place, just Here. After reading what happens around three or four chapters in, I just wanted to know when things would get interesting. Have you read the synopsis? I wanted to get to the ghost hunting and learn more about Here and Riley's future as a ghost, after reading the synopsis I also guessed that it would be a simple "Hey you, kid. Go get that ghost." Situation.
   But instead it turns out that Riley's entire after life is going to be full of hunting ghosts before she can start having fun with it, I fell in love with her partner, Bodhi (I still can't figure out how his name is pronounced, body?), he's supposed to be  nerdy but I imagined him kind of cute and I even found him funny at certain points of the novel. Just like in The Immortals Series, Alyson Noel managed to pull me deeper into the story leaving me wanting to read so much more. It's also a generally quick read, I finished it a day after I bought it and have to say that it's amazing- even if you've read the Immortals novels or not (I pinky promise it will still make sense).
   I recommend this to anybody who has recently finished the Immortals Series and want to read more about the world that Noel created (much like myself). I would also give this to anybody who wants paranormal fiction without it being so gothic or somber. It's great!!!

1 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Love this book! Imma so read Shimmer!

Post a Comment

Your comments make us smile

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...