Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Summoning (Darkest Power Trilogy) - Kelly Armstrong

As Chloe Saunders attempts to get her life on track after her mother's death, she finds her life turned upside down as she comes to terms with her power: The ability to see dead people.
  Forced to live in a group home by her aunt, Chloe must come to grips with her "gift, accept the "gifts" of her friends in Lyle House, and try to survive the hidden secrets that lie within.




When I first started reading this book, it was a slow and bumpy ride.  It read like your typical teenager type of story  . . . school, boys, fitting in.  Enter the ghosts.  Kelly Armstrong's discription of Chloe's encounter with the janitor was so frightening!  I was reading it before bed, and I freaked myself out.  FUN!!  Armstrong's writting style is very addicting.  She knows how to twist the plot and keep the reader guessing and yeanring for more.  There were certain points in these books that I think I forgot to blink, it was so intense.
After reading this series, I became a HUGE fan of Kelly Armstrong.  I fell in love with her characters.  And (hello!) love triangle . . . kinda sorta.  This series was brilliant, and I am so happy to have found it.  I was so sad when it all ended.  I was craving more.  I need my Derek fix!  Talk about a guy who has it all . . . brawn, sex appeal, knight in shining armor syndrome (minus the sweat problem).  I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys paranormal reads.  It has the perfect mixture of suspense, horror(ish), supernatural and love.
Pick this series up, and fear the janitor with me! :P

I wanted to read the darkest power books the moment I saw them on amazon. Reading the synopsis was enough to have me lured in, I mean it's pretty much my kind of story. Basically when I first read the synopsis I was thinking of all the great things that could be inside of the story such as the fact that:There's a girl who sees dead people (+1) that girl is sent to a home for "troubled" teenagers (+1) then she finds out that not all is what it seems (+1).
  When I began to read, I already found the story very original in it's own way. Most of the teen novels I read have a main character who is either a beautiful outcast or the sexy popular chick, but this girl was neither. Kelly Armstrong crafted a character who was totally relateable to most girls.  Reading the novel I found that nearly all of the characters were very real and easy to imagine, there were no "OMG, just imagine how hawt he must be" characters. They all had very real details, anyway back to the story.
  I thought that in the beginning the story did drag a bit but the second we see our first ghost we are thrown into a world that is beautifully crafted. I constantly found myself reading as though my eyes might fall out, I was either excited, afraid or freaking out over a thrilling scene.
  I found this novel to be a good read, and relates to teenage life. I'm so glad that at the time I had bought all 3 novels, because I finished all of them in one weekend and clawed my eyes out when I saw that that was the end of the series. But at least there's another series to start afterwards, it's set in the same world as the darkest power trilogy and it is titled "The Gathering" which is already in stores.
  I totally recommend this book if you want something enticing and realistic (at least as realistic as supernatural fiction can get).  Now go, go, go!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make us smile

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...